Sunday, April 4, 2010

Through New Eyes

In more ways than I thought possible, I have come to realize I am quite isolated. Obviously, in that I am three thousand miles from home and familiar things, and in more geographical ways, in that I am both surrounded by nothing but Welsh countryside and, more globally, a lot of water (as the UK is an island; but, technically, we could all claim to be isolated, as every land mass is surrounded by water - the UK is just a smaller land mass than most).

With Erika's visit, though, I realized that I was developing my British identity in isolation, as well. Certainly, as an American, I am experiencing and registering Wales and the UK life differently than my UK counterparts. As a full-time student, one who is here for the long haul, I am even developing more of a sense of connectedness with my surroundings than the other US students that I have met who are leaving in three months. When Erika was here, though, I was able to see, through her, the way that I was constructing my reality here abroad.

There were a couple of extenuating circumstances that allowed this to happen. For one, I am a PhD student, and most of the American students, and a good chunk of the other international students are here on short term stays, studying for a semester as part of a study-abroad program. A lot of these students, then, take similar classes and have clustered together in this way. Secondly, when international students are here for an extended period of time, the school tends to lump them together. While I might not have lived with other Americans, had I come here in October, as originally planned, I would have lived with other foreign students. I would have associated with this group of similar-minded individuals. Because I came here in December, I was put with three first-years, a second-year and an MA student. I have little in common with most of these kids (particularly the first- and second-year students, but recently, the MA student and I have gotten along swimmingly), and thus didn't really associate with them during the first formative months here.

In essence, through a series of fluke occurrences, I find that I have discovered Wales, Aberystwyth and London all on my own. I landed here alone, I traveled through England and Wales here alone, and I set myself up here alone. Most of the first three months here, I walked around alone, I ate alone, I shopped alone and so forth.

Once Erika was here, this became very apparent to me. As we walked along, most of the anecdotes or informative bits I knew I discovered on my own, were colored only by my interpretation and were then shading the way that she discovered London, England, Wales and Aberystwyth.

I don't know where I am going with this. Maybe, because it's Easter, my family is going about doing family things, Erika is back at home, my housemates are almost all gone (Breannian is still here, but his girlfriend arrives today, and he will be otherwise occupied), and my adviser is gone on break, I am feeling a little more isolated than usual.

1 comment:

  1. let it be known-- we all miss you at home, Keegan!

    ReplyDelete