Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for Things and Stuff

Three British people wished me a Happy Thanksgiving today. That was surprising due to the totally American nature of the holiday. Also, I don't know if I know of any British holidays. Does Guy Fawkes Day count? I liked V for Vendetta so I try, like Natalie Portman before me, to remember the 5th of November. Does that count? I am still not clear on what Boxing Day is (and according to Wikipedia, I am not the only person), but that's not even a purely British holiday, though it could be argued that the places who celebrate it were, at some point, controlled by the British.

One of my British friends invited me up to her place for Thanksgiving with some of her other American friends, fearing that I might go into some downward depression spiral having to be apart from my family at this time of year.

You can read this in two ways: 1) The British are really courteous to their American friends; 2) America has perpetrated every corner of the Globe in such a way that our holidays have infected those who don't celebrate. I prefer the first, because I like to think my friends are good people and not just wooed by American TV and movies (cinema? That never seems to take).

Regardless, let's talk about what I am thankful for. This year, I've made a playlist of sorts for you to listen to while reading this. So enjoy the tunes.

1) "Hell or High Water" William Elliot Whitmore


I've been extremely fortunate in my life to know some truly incredible people. In the course of the past year, a lot of my friends from my past have sort of resurfaced: be it Claire becoming a regular at Trivia Night (and making me a bitchin' blanket for my birthday), to Vicky (who reads this, and told me I am allowed to call her Vicky) taking time out of a busy trip to say hello, to Mo (whose blog is worth a read) sending me the best and most random email ever.

In part, I am thankful for the much maligned Facebook (and to a lesser extent Google+) for helping me maintain these friendships and several others. I know it's really trendy these days to talk about how lame Facebook is, but I don't know what I would do with out it. Certainly, my news feed is inundated with annoyances, but with some careful blocking and screening, I can filter out what I don't want to see, and just keep up with the comings and goings of my friends. And beat them at Words with Friends. Occasionally Scrabble. Maybe plant a cute little farm together...

Over here in the UK, I don't know that I could have purposefully found a better group of friends than the ones I chanced to meet at the Aberystwyth Postgraduate Conference. Besides teaching me the finer things about British life, like what the hell is going on in a football (read: soccer) match and how I can use postage stamps to buy food, their company is probably the best way I have found since being here to pass the time. As William Elliot Whitmore says in the song, "Oh, how it pleases me / to be in such company, / and I'm so glad our paths have crossed."

2. "Particle Man" They Might Be Giants (live)


Let's face the facts here: I am a nerd. A geek. A spaz. What have you. While most people were growing up and learning how to talk to girls, I was watching cartoons, reading comics, and playing with G.I. Joes (deep into my twenties). Somehow, I managed to turn that into a job.

Granted, I am not wealthy man: don't own a house, a car, or a bed much bigger than myself (actually, I don't even own the plastic mattress I sleep on every night; it's the University's), and I sold the plastic card table that was my first Big-Boy table. Most of my life fits in two closets, and a bit of my Mom's basement. It's not the most glamorous life, and had it not been for the help of my Mom, I think I would have sunk a long time ago.

But, at the end of the day, I am doing something that I truly love. I actually like teaching. A lot. I like reading books and talking about them with people (even if they are fish-eyed first years who stare back at me trying to remember where they slept the night previous). I like that I my life deals with literature (and especially comic books), and further than that, I am becoming a name in the small scene of people who read comic books professionally. Sure, the circle that I run in might have heated debates over who could win in a fight: Hulk or Thing, but they are my people, and it's an argument I like having.

I am also thankful that I get to read and write about comics in a really special place. A lot of people come down hard on Aberystwyth for it's lack of social variety, and true if you don't like hanging out in pubs, watching movies or playing snooker, there is not a whole lot that the night time can offer you. That said, the day time is quite, as Jamie would say, lovely. There are plenty of places to walk and sit, plenty of nice places to barbecue and chill out. I've lived in Chicago and for a brief time took place in it's nightlife with all it's dress codes and fancy shoes (sort of). What I've found is that a quiet pub with decent music and good friends, maybe a pool table, is really all I need. An Aberystwyth provides exactly the perfect place for me to become a professional nerd.

3) "We're a Happy Family" The Ramones


As I said above, none of this would be possible without my Mom. There really isn't a way that I can ever repay her, but I know she has a list of things I can do to get started.

There's not a whole lot I wish I could box up and bring with me as I globe trot around the world, but my family is one of them. Everyone of them, from my Aunts and Uncles to my nieces and nephews and everyone in between.

One thing that I have to look forward to, though, is my family's potential visit. Well....some of them. Kiernan doesn't love me enough, and I am saying it here so everyone knows. He's going to be replaced by Jason in the list of my brothers when people ask how many I have. Supposedly, my sister Brianne, her husband Jason, and my Mom are coming for a visit in April. At this point, my Mom does not have a passport, though, so until that happens, I will continue to think that this is just a potentiality.

If they do come, I will be really excited to really blend two of my favorite parts of my life: my friends here and my family. Plus, my Mom is addicted to quiz nights, so this will be a nice chance for her to see where it all started.

4) "Home" Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes


Probably the best surprise of the last five months would have to be Catherine. At a particularly dark point in my life, she showed me that I could smile again. For that, I am eternally thankful. There's not a whole lot I could write here that would really do justice to what she means to me, so I will leave it at this: I don't know that I could be any happier.


So, there you have it: 2011 list of things for which I am thankful. There has been a surprising backlash against Christmas this year, as the rampant materialism of Jesus' birthday has started to absorb the much simpler Thanksgiving. I was really happy to see this. Christmas, the whole point of it - regardless of how it has been adapted from pagan holiday rituals, barely is connected to what probably happened when Jesus was born, and which has now come to stand for all the problems with American consumerism - is to celebrate all the good things in your life. You buy presents for those you love the most.

Thanksgiving serves the same purpose, but a more stripped down, honest version. You find some people that you really like, you get some good food, and spend time with those that mean the most to you. There are seldom times in my life I wish I could live in two places at once, but this is one of them.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment