Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Cost of Looking Forward

As I walked through Meijer's the other day, looking for milk, I ran across candy clearly marketed towards the Halloween crowd. This angered me greatly. Here it was, September 7th, and already the store suggested that we spend our time thinking about the last day of October. Of course, after Halloween, America turns it's attention toward Christmas (briefly glancing at the less marketable holiday Thanksgiving) before it gets ready for a quick stop at New Years and then on to Valentines Day. In this way, we don't ever notice today; instead, we spend our present trying to line up our ideal vision of the next holiday with the actual reality of how the holiday is shaping up. We buy candy in September, costumes in early October: time and effort is spend not on today, but on making the future tomorrow excellent. In this way, then, the present is lost.

I have been reading about how time is understood by mankind, and the theorist call this the presentification of the future, or protentions. We look forward to the future and anticipate what it will look like; then, this anticipation in hand, we try to make sure our lives line up with what we hope to remember in the future. We imagine the stories that we will tell about future events and occurrences, then spend our efforts to line up reality with these anticipations. In this way, our present is merely a speed bump on the way to the future which we imagine as having already happened.

This is all leading up to my engagement. In this event, I have cast a net far into the future, and will spend the next eleven months trying to make my imagined wedding come true. Of course, I have to consider what Erika wants, and incorporate those imaginings into mine, but nonetheless, very little of what I do in the now is going to be remembered. Essentially, my life will consist of trying to make the future happen. Which, of course, it will; but it might not happen in the right way. And that, readers, will lead to disappointment.

So I am stuck with a conundrum: do I imagine the best wedding I possibly can, which will, more than likely, lead to disappointment; or do I set my sights low so that later the reality of the situation is bound to exceed my expectations? No one wants to approach their wedding with a lackadaisical attitude, nor would I earn any special brownie points with the future-missus if I too a lackluster approach to the planning.

Already, though, I have had to renegotiate my anticipated future wedding memories. See, I have been to several hotel weddings, and in the end I generally leave satisfied. I can eat, party and hang out as late as I want, then stumble up to the room and fall asleep. Sometimes, even, the hotel will return the tux for me. Double bonus. The rooms are standard looking of course, but do what I want them to: hold people, a dance floor, and food.

This, however, is not what Erika wants. She imagines a unique space, one that people can buzz about: That wedding was so cool. Did you see where it was? It looked amazing! All those flowers and arches... and so on and so on. Consider the Chateau Bu Sche. Gorgeous. But small, and can't hold all that many people. Such a venue will also require outside caterers, which might cost more. Then our guests will have to get from the reception to the hotel, which could be dangerous, considering how much some of my friends like to drink.

Thus, the first issue arises: whose anticipated memory is going to be disappointed. In the end, it seems like mine. I can see Erika really wants to have this special location, and I want her to be happy. In order to keep my future memory on course, though, it will have to be a place that Erika and I can afford to bring all my friends. A wedding without my friends and family is like a wasted day, as far as I am concerned. I want the reception to be a good party where my friends can come, hangout, enjoy themselves and go home with some real memories to cherish.

This is just the first hiccup that we hit, and I am sure that there will be more. In fact, most days are going to be spent negotiating a compromise between what I want, and what she wants. It will remain to be seen who will be disappointed in the end, or if we can take our collected anticipations and make a wedding that exceeds all of them. Only time will tell, and my time is going to be spent obsessing over it.

3 comments:

  1. I hesitate to leave a comment, as I don't want to so sound condescending in that "I have this wedding/marriage thing all figured out" way. However, I'll share my experience in wedding planning. Chris and I spend many months trying to plan the perfect wedding and reception at the perfect venue, with the perfect band, and flowers, and food, and favors, etc. I think that it ended up being beautiful, but what I remember most is the people I got to spend the day with. I remember Chris at the alter, my family and friends at the church, and my loved ones rockin' on the dance-floor. Now that it is all said and done, I wish I would have focused on that part and let some of the "it must be perfect" pressure go - no matter where we had it, what people ate, or what the table settings looked like, if we got to spend it with each other and our loved ones, it was going to be perfect. And, just for the record, I certainly don't have the marriage thing all figured out - I am still just going enjoying the ride and trying to do my best! Congratulations and good luck! Hope that Chris and I can be there to help you two celebrate your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly there is something to be said here about simplicity: I imagine we will have a good time if enough good people are anywhere. Cram all our friends and family into Benet's Old Gym, and everything could be magical.

    But one could also argue that what you remember was only possible BECAUSE you had a great band, good food and a festive, romantic place to hold the whole event. Maybe you remember looking down the aisle at Chris because Chris was standing in a beautiful old church, not some rag-tag little chapel with a horrible paint job and mismatched carpet. Maybe the perfect wedding is finding a location that will do that: blend into the background, allowing one to focus on the important aspects of the whole shebang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.designsponge.com
    I like this page because they showcase some of the most beautiful weddings-a lot of it is DIY but they're so creative. had to share! show Erica.
    also, I think that you should just rent a hay wagon and all of your inebriated friends can climb into the back at the end of the night.
    I've been to both hotel weddings and charming little weddings where there was zero alcohol and I think the charm supercedes the importance of the party. but then, I'm female.
    You probably shouldn't have an open bar because your college friends will drink away your life savings. just saying.

    ReplyDelete